CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 6, 2009

Wyatt Update

Warning: May be long and rambling :)

Wednesday- I attended Wyatt's annual IEP (Individualized Education Plan) meeting. The attendees included Wyatt's preschool teacher, his speech therapist, his occupational therapist, his possible future kindergarten teacher, me, and the director of special services for the elementary school. I dread these meetings for weeks. I have to really concentrate not to get nauseous on my way into the school and my stomach is in knots the entire time. Also- it's a pretty safe bet that I cry. These ladies are sweet, caring, kind, and very knowledgeable, but it's pure torture to hear the bitter hard truth sometimes. Even when YOU already know it, it's still hard to hear.

They had a list of many things that they were concerned about with Wyatt. Characteristics that he was demonstrating and behaviors, etc. We were all very concerned as well with his lack of progress with his fine motor skills. Two years of occupational therapy later and the poor kid still can't hold a pencil correctly or trace a simple 'W'. We were trying to come to a conclusion whether Wyatt should continue on to kindergarten as scheduled or remain in his preschool class for one more year. The verdict is still out....more posts on that later I'm sure. But one of the main topics of conversation was obtaining a more concrete diagnosis for Wyatt so that when he does enter the more general ed. courses, he can qualify for the specialized services and help that he will need.

Now, opinions varied, but some felt that Wyatt expressed 'High Functioning' Autistic tendencies. Other felt perhaps he had ADD. Any parent that hears the words 'Autistic' feels their heart drop into their shoes. I wasn't a silent individual in the room- I let my opinions and concerns be heard as well. But still left feeling very overwhelmed and scared out of my mind.

I cried for several hours on the way to Tremonton, and then a still small voice seemed to come to my mind telling me to call Wyatt's pediatrician in Brigham City that I have consulted with on Wyatt's development many times before and see if he had any openings to see Wyatt while I was there. We went this morning and I walked in armed with a list of behaviors and concerns I had about Wyatt.

Dr. Lloyd instantly was glad to see us and told me that he was thrilled that we were there because he had been concerned about Wyatt and wanted to call and see how he was developing. That's a good, caring doctor for you. He spent an HOUR with me in that room. We went through every item on my list and discussed it. He asked me questions that were almost as long as my list. He also spent lots of time conversing with Wyatt and having him 'show off' his new found hopping skills.

The good news: Dr. Lloyd emphatically declared that "Wyatt does not have Autism. He does not have ADD. He has symptoms and characteristics of both that would make one think along those lines, but he does not have those diagnosis." HOOORAY!

The other news: He referred me to a Developmental Pediatrician in Salt Lake that will do more observations and see what our next steps may be to providing Wyatt with an official diagnosis. He is also going to the University of Utah Hospital system to the 'Genetics' department to have his DNA tested and see if he is possibly missing a chromosome. Having done some research on this, Wyatt does seem to fit most of the profiles of a child that may have a chromosome missing. I don't know what that might possibly mean for his future treatment and therapy, or the help that he may need in school, but I am finally confident that we are on the right path to a correct answer.

4 comments:

Jake, Cindy and Blaine

Dallas~ my heart just goes out to you. what a cute little boy and family you have. my son had a similar situation and after years of speech and IEP's and doctors, he is finally TOP of his class. we were also told that Blaine was "high functioning" and yes, your heart just drops once the word "AUTISM" is mentioned (we too had NO IDEA about it)...but the best things i learned from it all was to educate myself on all aspects and i have even been able to talk to and help other friends who go through the same thing. my son is, like i said, top of his class now and i know that it's because we worked extra hard and it was all worth it.

good luck with everything...stay strong and no matter what ANYBODY says, just keep loving that cute little boy! he's still young...enjoy it. early intervention is AWESOME, but he is still just a little guy...learning and growing! :)
*cindy

Olinselot

Wyatt will be fine! He's a wonderful little boy, and he's smart! It will be great to figure out what diagnosis he has so you can help him more, but whatever it is you'll be able to help him with it. He'll do great in school, and he'll grow to be an awesome man. You're the perfect person to get him there. You're one of the best Moms I know, and I have complete confidence in you and your abilities to care for him in the very best way. I love you very much, and you know you can always call if you're having a hard day.

Jessica

Dallas,
Just wanted to let you know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers! I am glad you were able to get into Dr. Lloyd. He is also my sons pediatricain ( i know spelled wrong, im in a hurry) and i LOVE HIM!!!
Jessica ( brandee's friend)

Rachel

Those meetings are so hard! When we were in California they started talking Autism concerning Riley because he has some autistic tendencies and I just kept thinking, great one more thing to add to the list! I just think that Wyatt is so cute and he has the greatest personality! Clint and I watch your videos everytime you post one and we just laugh and say how cute he is. This to shall pass I guess but it is still hard when you are in the moment. Let me know how that appointment in Salt Lake goes because I would love to get Riley into somebody that can give me an exact diagnosis for him. Good luck!