CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Medical Miracles and Answers

Medically speaking- our family has had our share this last month. For those of you who hadn't heard, my dad was diagnosed as having a tumor on his pituitary gland. It was larger than an inch around and affected his vision, hormones, and mood to name a few. They moved rapidly and scheduled surgery to have it removed. They went up into his nose, broke a bone, and cut it out. He had a few complications and spent a few days in ICU recovering and has since been able to come home. He is still having problems with his vision, balance, and connecting thoughts at times, but we are so grateful for all the prayers and fasting in his behalf. We truly felt that it was a miracle that the tumor was found and taken care of as quickly as it was.

Also during this time, Shelby and I had decided to follow our Developmental Pediatrician's advice and have Wyatt tested before he enters school next year by a Neuro-pyschologist to determine an official diagnosis. We have had many 'guesses' on Wyatt over the last six years, but this was the real deal. Wyatt and I traveled back to Boise and he spent a long 5 hours doing various tests. Then this last Friday, Shelby, Wyatt, and I returned again for 2 more hours of testing and the results. Wyatt's official diagnosis is 'Acquired Brain Injury'. According to MRI's we've had done in the past, Wyatt probably suffered from a stroke when he was in utero, or during the birth process that has injured his brain. All of the things he struggles with and his various symptoms, all stem from this brain injury. He doesn't have Autism or ADHD, which actually might be easier because I would have more information and know exactly what to do to help him best. Instead, every brain injury is different. We don't know exactly what Wyatt will learn to do and when. We have some information now on exactly what he can and cannot do at this point in time and ways to help him, but we have to be creative and find ways teach him at home and at school. One of those ways is through a medication we've started giving him to help with his over-sensitivity to stimuli through his senses. We're hoping that once we can help him not get so over-stimulated we might be able to help him learn through his difficulties.

I'll be honest- it wasn't what I thought I was going to hear. It wasn't as clear-cut as I wanted. Instead- I'm terrified of how to best help Wyatt. On the other hand, being creative and learning as we go is how we've been doing things so far- but school will present a whole new set of problems and hurdles.

I so appreciate all of my friends who have brought meals to my family through this trying last month- have called to check in me- have remembered the days of Wyatt's appointments and called to find out the results. I am so very blessed in the people that my Heavenly Father has sent into my life. I love you all!!!!

4 comments:

Hanna

I am so glad that things are going well with your dad, and I know with Wyatt that he has the best mommy in the world!! He is such an adorable sweet boy, and you are SO creative, you are going to do awesome!! Love ya!

Brian Adair Fam

Dallas, I'm so glad that your dad is OK and his surgery went well. How scary! I pray that he continues to recover well. I'm also glad that you were able to find out Wyatt's diagnosis. You are a wonderful mother and Wyatt and all of your kids are so lucky to have you as a mother. Good luck with finding more ways to work with Wyatt at home and at school.

Olinselot

Hey Dallas, I'm so glad I decided to read you blog today, this month has been busy for me, and I apologize that I haven't been there for you this month. I'm so glad to hear you've received a diagnosis for Wyatt. You are the best mother for him, and he is a great kid because of you and Shelby. He will be fine. All the success he will find in life will be a result of his parents love and his own hard work. Life is good at throwing curve balls at us all, but just remember that you always have a support system behind, and so many people that love you all. I'm so glad your dad is doing okay as well, and he was was able to get this help he needed. You are so awesome, and I admire you in so many ways. I've always looked up to you, and appreciated your friendship. I love you all so much, and I"m looking forward to seeing Wyatt succeed in school this year. Good luck, and call anytime!

(me)linda

I find that answers just lead me to more questions. haha OH BOY! What an adventure we're in.

I wish I would have realized you were coming to Boise for testing! We would have loved to have you over. One of these days, we'll have to get together. :) What an interesting diagnosis! I hope his medicine helps him out a ton. You know, even in the world of Autism, it's amazing how much each kid has a unique set of issues. The really tricky thing for me with Brenden, is really knowing if behaviors are just his personality or if they are part of his disorder. Our brains are such fascinating things. Doesn't it just make you wish you had gobs more education? That's how I feel. I feel like I'm missing like four degrees. :) Fostering a creative learning environment is really hard for me. I'd love to hear what you come up with.

If you ever come up to Boise again for things, PLEASE let me know, and we'll meet for lunch or something. PS: Don't those evals suck? :)

Love ya! Hang in there!